AEL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Adult education and literacy (AEL) teachers are instrumental in helping students achieve their goals. The following resources, organized by topic, are designed to inform, prepare and support new and experienced adult educators.
INSTRUCTIONAL POLICY AND STANDARDS
Policies and standards are meant to establish benchmarks and guides for making decisions regarding resource allocation, professional development activities and program capacity. They set clear expectations to ensure programs are high- performing and capable of meeting the diverse needs of adult learners.
- Iowa Administrative Code 281-23.7 (High-quality professional development)
- 21st Century Skills - Iowa Core Standards
- College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education
- English Language Proficiency Standards for Adult Education
- Instructor Standards
- Iowa Adult Education and Literacy Professional Development Standards
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Frontline Education - Professional Growth is a system that assists local AEL programs with the management and support of the professional development needs of their staff while ensuring they are in compliance with Iowa Administrative Code 281-23.7.
- Frontline Education - Professional Growth Sign In
- AEL Program Staff Training (10-4-19)
- Classroom Observation Form Example
- Individualized Professional Development Plan
TEACHING SKILLS THAT MATTER (TSTM)
Teaching the Skills That Matter (TSTM) trains adult education teachers to integrate the skills that matter to adult students using approaches that work across critical topics. Using the project's tools and training, adult education teachers can teach the transferable skills students need in these critical contexts.
STANDARDS-BASED INSTRUCTION FOR ENGLISH LEARNERS
Standards-in-Action 2.0: Implementing Standards-Based Instruction for English Learners explores assorted research-based, instructional activities for engage English learners in the content and promote language development.
- Standards-in-Action Virtual Training - PowerPoints and materials
STAR ACHIEVEMENT IN READING (STAR)
STAR Achievement in Reading (STAR) supports states with evidence-based reading instruction professional development for instructors of intermediate-level adult learners. Through the STAR Network, states can engage with other STAR partners and access a suite of materials to help implement and maintain the STAR initiative.
ADULT ONLINE LEARNING
- ProLiteracy Education Network - A comprehensive collection of online courses and resources for adult literacy and ESL instructors, program staff, trainers, and adult learners.
- Adult Learning Theory as the Foundation for Innovative, Advanced, Online Learning - A presentation given by Jillian Yarbrough at the Expanding Possibilities Virtual Conference (2019)
DISABILITIES IN ADULT EDUCATION
- Learning to Achieve - A suite of resources designed to build teacher effectiveness in providing instruction for adults with learning disabilities.
- PANDA - Provides Minnesota Adult Basic Education programs with disability support, knowledge and resources to increase academic opportunities for all students.
Resources and materials for new instructors on topics such as effective instructional practices and program design, teaching literacy to adult learners, and integrating English literacy and civics education.
- Creating Success with Explicit Instruction
- Lesson Plan Builder
- Annenberg Learner
- Cognitive Complexity - Depth of Knowledge
- Adults Learn Differently Than Children (5-minute video)
- Adult Learners 101: The Six Principles of Adult Learning (3-minute video)
- System for Adult Basic Education Support (SABES) is the adult education professional development system of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary, Adult and Community Learning Services unit.
- Adult Education Literacy Instruction: A Review of the Research
- Yay Math: Math videos and learning that inspire
- Visualizing Math: Using Desmos and Phet to Model, Demonstrate and Gamify - A presentation given by Jason Walker at the Expanding Possibilities Virtual Conference (2018)
- Effective Reading Strategies - A presentation given by Kathy Houghton at the Expanding Possibilities Virtual Conference (2018)