For your protection, Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) must verify your identity when filing for unemployment benefits. This process ensures that the person filing for benefits is who they say they are and protects against fraudulent attempts to obtain benefits.
Your identity must be verified first in order to receive benefits. When filing an unemployment insurance claim, you will be asked to verify your identity and will be directed to an online process.
2024 UPDATE: ID.ME IMPLEMENTATION
Please Note: IWD is upgrading its identity verification process. Effective January 2, 2024, Iowans now have the option to utilize ID.me to prove their identity. Iowans filing for benefits are highly encouraged to use ID.me to save time on their claim.
- Claimants who use ID.me can expect a faster verification process when they visit the claims portal and file their initial unemployment claim or weekly claim. Claimants who choose not to use ID.me may experience a delay in the processing of their claim.
- Iowans who believe they will be filing in the future can also create their ID.me account ahead of time, however their identity verification will not be processed with IWD until they log into ID.me through the IWD claims portal and submit an unemployment claim.
- If you have recently filed for benefits (prior to January 2nd), you can still use ID.me as an option to verify your identity when you are filing your subsequent weekly claim.
Following the initial period, on April 1, 2024, ID.me will be the required process for all claimants. Visit the link below or click here to learn how to use ID.me for identity verification.
- The online verification process will take you through required steps while you are filing your claim. If your identity is verified (including through ID.me), you will be able to continue through the claims filing process.
- If your identity is unable to be verified, you will be required to send in documentation separately for proof of identity. Alternatively, if you decline the online verification process entirely or do not use ID.me, you will also be required to send in documentation(English) (En Español)or proof of identity prior to receiving any payments.
Note: IWD's current verification system uses data provided by LexisNexis® Risk Solutions to help verify and validate your identity. Such data may include public records from federal, state and local government sources, and/or non-public data from government, utility, or education sources. LexisNexis® may also use limited information from credit reporting bureaus, but no credit check is conducted, and no inquiry of any kind is incurred. This process will take place when filing your claim.