You can create a my Social Security account to access your Social Security Statement to check your earnings and get your benefit estimates. If you receive benefits, you can also:

  • Get your benefit verification letter;
  • Change your address and phone number;
  • Start or change your direct deposit;
  • Request a replacement Medicare card; and
  • Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.

Even if you do not currently receive benefits, you can:

  • Check the status of your application or appeal.
  • Get a benefit verification letter stating that you:
    • never received Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare; or
    • received benefits in the past, but do not currently receive them (The letter will include the date your benefits stopped and how much you received that year.); or
    • applied for benefits but haven’t received an answer yet.

You may be able to use your free my Social Security account at to request a replacement Social Security card online, as long as you live in one of the participating states or the District of Columbia, are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card, and you meet other requirements.

There is no fee to create a my Social Security account, but you must have an email address. See the PDF below for instructions on setting up an account using an activation code.

How to Create a my Social Security Account

Email account setup

There are many options available to set up an email address and it can be done in as little as five minutes. Each email provider has its own criteria for setting up an account and you must accept the provider’s terms of use agreement. Some examples of free email providers include:

*This is not a complete list of email providers. Social Security is not endorsing any of these particular email account provider(s), as you may use other email account providers as appropriate.

NOTE: Even if you do not use email on the computer, if you have a smartphone it is likely that you already have an email account. Contact your cell phone service provider to find out.