VERIFYING YOUR IDENTITY WITH ID.ME
Iowa Workforce Development partners with ID.me to help verify the identity of Iowans who are filing for unemployment benefits and services. ID.me is certified against federal standards to provide secure identity verification. An ID.me Verified Identity helps to make sure that the person logging in to your account and filing for benefits is really you and not someone pretending to be you.
Iowans can start using ID.me now for faster verification when filing for unemployment. If you are not filing a claim right now, you can also save time in the future by creating an account in the ID.me system. Below are links and resources to help guide your use of ID.me.
- While you can create your ID.me account ahead of time, your identity verification will not be processed with IWD until you log into ID.me through the IWD claims portal and submit an unemployment claim.
- If you have recently filed for benefits (prior to January 2nd), you can still use ID.me as an option to verify your identity when you are filing your subsequent weekly claim.
INTRODUCTION TO ID.ME
The following video provides an introduction to using ID.me. In just a few short steps using common identifying document(s), you can quickly verify your identity and be on your way to applying for benefits.
- Iowans filing for unemployment benefits with IWD will now be prompted to use ID.me for identity verification while in the claims portal.
- Iowans who have recently filed or who plan to file are highly encouraged to create an ID.me account and verify their identity. Claimants who have already verified their identities will experience a faster unemployment claim submission process.
- Following the initial period, on April 1, 2024, ID.me will be the required process for new and currently filing claimants.
OPTIONS TO USE ID.ME
ID.me also improves accessibility with identity verification. Iowa Workforce Development offers Iowans three different options in partnership with ID.me to verify their identity.