Migrant farm workers travel to Iowa each year to help with the cultivation and harvest of crops. Iowa Workforce Development’s Migrant and Seasonal Farm Worker (MSFW) advocacy system is focused on educating and assisting farm workers and agricultural employers.
Farm workers receive training and employment services through IowaWORKS Centers to assist with attaining greater economic stability. The State Monitor Advocate helps ensure farm workers are served equitably through workforce programs.
Agricultural employers may include farmers (both crop and livestock), farm co-operatives, grain elevators, greenhouses, and nurseries. Some may contract with farm labor contractors to oversee the hiring and payment of the migrant or seasonal crews. Agricultural employers who need assistance filling their workforce needs may work with Iowa’s outreach workers to recruit in Iowa and from other states by utilizing the agricultural recruitment system.
SEASONAL FARM WORKER
A seasonal farm worker is a person who meets the following criteria:
- Worked at least 1 day performing farm work during the past 12 months.
- Farm work is temporary or seasonal in nature.
- Can reasonably return to a permanent place of residence on a daily basis.
MIGRANT FARM WORKER
A Migrant Farm Worker is a seasonal farmworker who has to travel to do the work and is unable to return to his or her permanent residence within the same day.
SERVICES AVAILABLE TO MIGRANT AND SEASONAL FARMWORKERS:
- Information on job opportunities
- Vocational Counseling and testing
- Training opportunities
- Information on state and federal farmworker rights
- Referral to a qualified job
- Assistance filing a complaint
- Community-based supportive services referrals
- Assistance with registration
SERVICES AVAILABLE TO AGRICULTURAL EMPLOYERS:
- Free recruitment assistance
- Post a temporary or seasonal job
- Outreach worker assistance
- Assistance with interpretation at onboarding events
State Monitor Advocate
Iowa Workforce Development
1000 E Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50319
Contact Form: Workforce Services