To receive Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits, you must certify that you are ready and able to accept a new job. This is called Registering for Work.
If you have already registered for work on IowaWORKS.gov and have created an employer-searchable résumé, then you have met this requirement and no action is needed.
If you have not done so, you must complete the registration and submit a résumé using the www.IowaWORKS.gov website to be considered officially registered to work in Iowa.
You must log in and complete all questions. NOTE: It is important to register using your Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not use your SSN, the system may not be able to find your information based on your name and other identifying information. If that happens, we may be unable to verify that you have registered for work, and benefits may be withheld until this requirement has been verified.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Create a user account at IowaWORKS.gov.
- Go to “Create a User Account,” under Option 2, select “Individual,” and follow the prompts. Once you have created an account, answer all mandatory questions (indicated with a red asterisk *).
- Create an active résumé.
- A work registration will not be considered valid if the claimant's IowaWORKS account does not include both a searchable résumé and a valid SSN.
If you have any questions about completing your work registration or setting up your résumé, contact your local IowaWORKS center. Failure to complete the online application will result in denial of your unemployment benefits if you are required to look for work.
Additional information is available.
- Review these Frequently Asked Questions about Unemployment Insurance.
- For additional information or to better understand the eligibility requirements, please refer to the Unemployment Insurance Benefits Handbook or contact Customer Service at 866-239-0843.
- Visit our Reemployment Activities page for more information about the next steps required to maintain your UI eligibility.